I hear my body talking...complaining...occasionally squawking.
For a week or two I've been mindfully decreasing my grain intake, particularly wheat. I've noticed on the plus side that, I have quickly begun to experience feeling hungry in the morning again. That just feels "normal"...and nice.
On the minus side (which I guess is a plus in terms of the whole knowledge=power thing), on the occasions that I have consumed something gluten-y, I have begun to experience and be more aware of bodily ills and symptoms that wheat is hard for my system to digest.
• itchy rashy red skin
• bad mood
• restless/unfocused mind
• gut pain
• digestive irregularity (of all types)
Yesterday's pasty...a hard lesson learned. I felt like I had a lead ball in my stomach for hours after I ate it. Then I was in a fiercely bad mood followed by incredible mental restlessness. I went to bed late, but had no insomnia (interesting). This morning, as soon as I ate (I was not hungry, but breakfast always seems the thing to do when starting my day), my stomach started to hurt. This does not happen if I am regularly consuming wheat/gluten. But, I think, the bit of a break was enough to resensitize me and my body. It wasn't my stomach that was actually having trouble this morning, the issues had landed further along my digestive system. I'll spare you the rest.
I tend to think it's never just one thing. And I tend to think things always change.
I am looking forward to continuing to refine my diet according to what my body tells me. Gluten-free, less grains...more veggies. Protein is a must for me so continue with grass-fed pastured meat and eggs. Cheese seems, for now, okay. Beans are beginning to become problematic. I noticed it first with lentils, and now chickpeas. Soy seems fine, so far. I tend to consume fermented soy (natto) which may be why.
Next week Cap and I will begin to construct a new schedule, with an eye to building new routines for the Fall. I am joining the Y (Gem upon hearing this: "let's see if it lasts more than a month this time"...ouch!) and am lobbying for a daily block of time for myself.
I am someone who bounces back and forth between scheduled is good vs. unscheduled is good. And I am wanting more of a schedule these days. (A sign, for sure, of the chaos I am feeling inside.)
I am realizing that I have been in a near constant state of never knowing when either or both the kids are going to need me...but knowing that I need to be available for when those moments come up. For my ADDish self, this can be a hellish purgatory. If I delve into something on my own, I hate being interrupted. I hate it so much that I become inhibited from starting anything and then I feel crappy because I feel unproductive. By the end of the day I am physiologically tired and then I begin again vis-a-vis Cap.
So, yes, more structure is sounding very good about now.
I will also resume seeing Vinny and taking herbs and I think practicing Qigong will follow. Vinny is leading a Dragon's Way class this Fall and I am hoping to join the Qigong class.
In the meantime, I'm putting one foot in front of the other, one thought in front of the other. Thanks for moving along with me.
Peace and love.
No comments:
Post a Comment