I bought the yarn at Modern Yarn's store closing blow out sale at 40% off and would not have had it in my stash at the ready, otherwise. At the time, I bought it because of the silk content, the color was one I knew I'd be able to use in gift knitting ("Olive" is much richer and a shade or two darker in real life), and it was a good opportunity to test drive a yarn I'd heard positive comments about.
The inspiration to cast on came from my Auntie Makiko's impending NYC visit. She is Momoko's mother, married to my mother's brother, Takio. Takio and Makiko are coming this week and we will be gathering with the clan next Sunday for dinner. I haven't seen them in many years.
Auntie Makiko has given me really lovely and beloved gifts over the years (including this, my favorite, knitting bag). There's an art and heart to that kind of gift giving. So, I decided I wanted to give her something special when I see her.
Hopefully, I will finish in time. I thought I had two weeks, but that dreamy-ness was dashed this morning when I realized that, in fact, I have one week.
P.S. Cap and I watched "Whisper in the Dark", a Japanese animation film from the vaults of Studio Ghibli (Hayao Miyazaki's studio), last night. It was incredibly romantic and sweet. There were many moments at which I felt like my adolescent, and current, souls were being mirrored. It also had some unexpected unschooly messages about learning which was cool to see.
P.P.S. I saw "Punch-Drunk Love" recently. Wow. Challenging, but worth a look if you want to see Adam Sandler in a completely different type of role, have an interest in a character study of someone who is incredibly shy, smart and sensitive, and who is seeking redemption via love despite being somewhat damaged by love, and/or can handle moments of acute discomfort/pain tucked into long stretches of meditative cinema.
No comments:
Post a Comment