Thursday, July 30, 2009

Afternoontime

Ever have one of those days when you helplessly follow your muse? (Every day should be one of those days, by the way.) Today is such a day.

The veggies-in-waiting have been talking to me. So, after the lettuce and radicchio, I moved onto the red potatoes. The vibrant color of the skins forced me to think outside the home fries box and I knew that these babies were destined to be roasted. Gluten-Free Girl has a simple and fabulous roasted tater recipe which pleases time and time again.

We often bake bread to go with spaghetti. Cap makes a great French bread which is a family favorite. Then, there's also the go-to bread: corn bread. I've never been a huge fan of corn bread. It's handy to soak up chili, I like the golden color, and I do have a soft spot for a grilled corn muffin with butter. But, corn bread? Meh.

There's something about it that is...boring. It makes me feel shallow to pooh pooh something as elemental and reliable as corn bread, but there you have it. About a year ago, I got excited about corn bread when I learned from Alton Brown that you can bake it in a cast iron pan.

Today, it was a new recipe that got me excited. It came into my Google Reader from, coincidentally, Gluten-Free Girl. It looks awesome out of the oven, I am looking forward to tucking into it tonight. (I did some subbing. Gem can't do sorghum, so I used garfava flour instead. Also, I used rice milk as my milk.)

Here's a pic of the boys munching on apples (we received Mutsu apples in our fruit share this week---heavenly!) and holding their "whips". Their Indiana Jones play has evolved into learning how to use a whip to do various things. It's been...interesting. :-)

I need to get cracking on the Woodland Scarf for my aunt. I want to block it tomorrow night to give it sufficient time to dry. We're seeing my aunt and uncle on Sunday!

No comments: