Thursday, July 30, 2009

Morningtime

One way that Sag takes after Cap is that breakfast is not essential. He could take it or leave it. Looks like he's leaving it this morning.

Gem is more like me when it comes to breakfast. He doesn't need much, but he definitely wakes with a hunger.

I'm making spaghetti for dinner tonight. Begin pesto (basil from the farm, walnuts, garlic, olive oil, salt) defrost now.

Once upon a time, we made a big move. To make myself feel better (unconsciously) I went to the Kitchen Etc. in Alewife (remember that store?) and bought a lot of kitchenware. We were going to be sharing a kitchen with my in-laws and were newbies in GFCF life. I fell in love with the Zyliss line because 1) I think Switzerland/things Swiss is/are kind of cool; and 2) everything was white. Normally, I am not a white kind of gal. But, Jake's stuff was black and I thought the contrast would help all of us keep gluten contamination as under control as we could.

I bought our salad spinner during this splurge. Seven years ago. And it's still like new. Pristine, even. I love that the kids love to use it and try to figure it out (Swiss engineering ingenuity and all :-)

The lettuce from the farm, as you can see, is gorgeous. I've discovered (something I'm sure many people know already...I can be slow figuring things out) that if I wash and dry the lettuce before storing it in the fridge it last much longer. A week easily. Even more, it is then all ready during the week to build a salad with, add to a sandwich, garnish a kid's lunch plate with, easy peasy.

Into the fridge with you.



Radicchio. If I spun and dyed fiber, I would totally create and name a colorway after you. :-O !!!

3 comments:

Shannon said...

Um, I actually didn't know that about lettuce. Robert eats a ton of it and I try to only shop once a week so making it last longer would be great!

Julie_c said...

I didn't know that either. I'm going to try it.

shirley said...

When will I learn to not assume? :-)