Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Peaches

This year we bought a fruit share, in addition to the veggie share. Farmer John doesn't grow fruit. But, he has friends and colleagues who do. So he scopes around for locally grown fruit, either organic or low spray, and buys only what he deems is good enough for his peeps. It's delivered along with the veggies for the week, easy and convenient.

Our fruit share started this week. We got a bag of peaches and two pints of blueberries. The kids ate a pint of berries within hours of delivery. Sag remarked that they tasted like bananas!

I savored a peach. They're on the small side (the pic makes them look big, no?) and though delicious, not extraordinarily sweet. I'm going to bake some of them in a Summer Peach Cake (recipe found at Karina's Kitchen) and I would love to make some peach smoothies, too.

Do you have a favorite way to enjoy peaches?

2 comments:

Unschoolers Rock the Campground said...

Habenjero peach preserves ala Rue. So Yummy.

Julie_c said...

I love peaches. Thanks for the link to the peach cake. I think I'll give that a try!