I still have a lot of peaches left. Time to search for a pie recipe :-)
Thursday, July 23, 2009
Before I put my feet up
The Thai curry came out lovely. Onions from the farm, poached chicken, green peppers and tomato. This is a very simple dish to make and has the power to transport you as you eat. I follow the directions on the back of the red curry paste jar.
And I made the Summer Peach Cake. It's very much a coffeecake with peach slices and cinnamon-sugar crumble on top. Sag liked it so much he asked for seconds. Gem liked it enough to nibble at mostly the crumb top while he continued reading The Deathly Hallows (he's almost done with it). Pretty good for a self-professed cake hater.
I am learning that with baking, perhaps more so with GFCF baking, you have to roll with the punches when things don't quite go as the recipe suggests. The recommended baking time for this cake was 25-30 minutes at 350º. It needed an additional 10 minutes at 350º and another 10 minutes on top of that at 325º. It browned nicely around the edge within the recipe time, but the center was wet and wet again. I was relieved when it finally baked all the way through.
We ate it while it was still warm. The texture was light and had a spring to it. The cinnamon in the cake gave it a spicy nuance (Sag said it smelled like gingerbread as I was slicing into it). The peaches softened wonderfully and matched nicely with the crumble top.
I still have a lot of peaches left. Time to search for a pie recipe :-)
I still have a lot of peaches left. Time to search for a pie recipe :-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
It all looks very yummy!
It was...thanks :-)
I'm determined to try that cake but I just haven't been in a baking mood lately.
Post a Comment