I also learned today that when preparing fava beans one needs to blanch them. The skin of the bean loosens in that process and once you pop the bean out of the skin, look at what gorgeousness ensues. I mean, really. Really? What a view.Thursday, July 23, 2009
From the kitchen
GSomething new to love: fava beans.


When the kids were wee, I used to read them this book about a bean (not unlike a fava bean I learned today). I pulled it off the shelf with great excitement and we flipped through the pages as I showed the kids how truly downy the inside of a bean pod can be.
I also learned today that when preparing fava beans one needs to blanch them. The skin of the bean loosens in that process and once you pop the bean out of the skin, look at what gorgeousness ensues. I mean, really. Really? What a view.
I made Foul Mudammes, an Egyptian fava bean dip. If you dig savory cinnamon with a heat that creeps up on you from the back, this is a dip for you.
I also steamed orange cauliflower (that turned a pale yellow with cooking), bok choy, and swiss chard, and washed, dried, and tore up the lettuce (red leaf and bibb). I still have a Thai curry to make for dinner and if I can push through, the peach cake (didn't get to it yesterday). I have some cukes and turnips I'd like to pickle, too...
I also learned today that when preparing fava beans one needs to blanch them. The skin of the bean loosens in that process and once you pop the bean out of the skin, look at what gorgeousness ensues. I mean, really. Really? What a view.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment