I've been sucked into the vortex that is 11/22/63 (link to NYT review which I will read after I am finished with the book) and so have not been reading It Starts With Food (which would be the more applicable companion piece to this Whole30 experience). If I were, I might have nifty soundbites to better discuss "the shocker".
My taste buds changed relatively quickly and I saw that one coming.
But, recently, I have begun to notice...and I'm not sure how to describe this...that my food imagining, my food expectation...how I think about food...has undergone a dramatic change.
• I am eating less...though I still sometimes accidentally make myself more food than it turns out I wanted (imagine neural connections shorting unexpectedly creating temporary mind-body disconnect)
• I am, much more often than not, wanting no more than I have
• I am completely neutral/disinterested when I think of/am around foods I haven't been eating...more than I ever would have thought possible
Two little epiphanies I've had today:
• if I do go out to dinner tomorrow night, I don't think I'll have the chocolate cake. I simply don't want it anymore. I know I don't want the sugar, I know I don't want the gluten. yesterday, I think my body was calling for the chocolate in its PMS state. I'd actually asked Cap to make me sugar-free truffles about a week ago, but he's been too busy. I've been hearing the call for chocolate, but hadn't put two and two together. when he makes the truffles, I'll have a supply in the freezer...and will experiment more intentionally with call and response.
• fruity dessert recipes (which overpopulate the blogosphere this time of year), whether gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, paleo or primal, are so often pretty to peruse and yes, would be impressive to serve at some tea party I'm never going to have, but I finally got it today: do not be a prisoner to your own illusion that this is how your fruit should be used. let the fruit float your boat. (and if you are eating local fruit in season, and have cut sugar and grains and dairy out, I swear you won't feel compelled to have a fruity dessert, baked or frozen, you will be that satisfied.)
I am amazed that in three weeks my brain has been so turned around. That I am no longer going through my day thinking about my next meal is profound. I am looking forward to digging even deeper...more meal planning/budget balancing, more integrating CSA veg into my days and more making the kids' food more Paleo.
1 comment:
Glad you are liking 11/22/63. I was consumed when I read it. Finished it in 3 days. There is a draggy part somewhere 2/3 in, but I found the 1st half especially fun to read. My first King! ~B
Post a Comment