Tuesday, July 10, 2012

12


He took a rare tumble racing his brother from the car to the house.  (He was born cautious.)  He was stoked because he won anyway.  His dirt-slapped knees reddening by the second sent me back to my own childhood summers.  (I was not born cautious.)

He was so calm as he assured me that, no he didn't need my help, nor my instructions.  He knew what to do.  He cleaned himself up and opted for calendula over Neosporin.  (That he let me apply gently with my fingertips.)

Can you see what he's reading?  The kids were introduced to The Hunger Games playing Minecraft.  Gem decided to try reading the books, aware that they are somewhat darker than his usual fare.

(Yesterday at the library, I mistakenly put a copy of Dragonball Z in his hands thinking it was Doctor Slump.  "Oh, your aunt loved these when she was a kid!"  He was pretty shocked at some of the content...though more fascinated/tickled than offended.  I requested Doctor Slump from the library last night, we'll see what he thinks of that one next week.)

2 comments:

Jamie said...

They would have hurt a lot more if he hadn't won :-) Glad he's okay.

I'd like to hear what Gem thinks of the Hunger Games. I really liked the first book. Second was okay and the third was my least favorite.

shirley said...

He's a fast reader. He finished the first book in two days and is reading the second one now. I told him you'd be interested to chat about the books!