The kids and I were reading. A Mini Marvel for Sag, a 39 Clues for Gem and Stephen King for me. Once I decided to be more authentic...to deepen my mind-body connection, I put down 11/22/63 and picked up It Starts With Food (a new link with Q&A w/the authors).
It was bugging me, the echoes of "DON'T CHEAT!" On the one hand, I know I am cheating on the Whole30 program by eating out tonight (and Thursday night) and not committing to eating food that is 100% Whole30 compliant.
On the other, I know I've gained more insight in the past 20 days than I thought I would and am gratefully looking ahead to a healthier way with food. I feel ready to let go of the taut reins for one meal tonight and another on Thursday night, mindfully and with as much consciousness and intention that I can muster, which is, more now than pre-Whole30.
As a Whole30 acolyte, I thought picking up The Book might help...but I was also afraid of what I might see and didn't want to be tied down.
(Not going to analyze that one, but glad to put it out there rather than hide it.)
I was relieved, and delighted, to find these words (in a chapter section called The Good News, no less):
"Why go through all that self-deception, when the fact that [fill in the blank] is just plain delicious is a good enough reason all by itself to indulge?
We're not food robots. We like to indulge from time to time, just like the rest of you. But we're honest about our reasons, and we want you to be honest too: "This food/drink is not making me healthier, but that's OK, because it's delicious/special/culturally-relevant/emotionally-significant.
We fully support those reasons."
I am a little sad that I am foregoing the full Whole30 experience by going "off the reservation" for these two meals. But, as the authors mention in the Q&A in the link above, the Whole30 is designed to be a template for self-experimentation.
I'm going to trust in the process...and see how it continues to unfold.
No comments:
Post a Comment