Sunday, June 24, 2012

It goes on and on

Um, wow.  Cap and I (sans kids) spent over three hours in the kitchen decluttering (not even reorganizing...we can't do that until we know what we are keeping/what we have).  And we are not finished.  o.O

I was very fatigued (experiencing the flu-like exhaustion which defined my last time going Paleo...but then it only lasted four days, this time I have only had one day of feeling utterly awful, but not feeling myself has continued for longer...it will be a week tomorrow) so Cap did most of the physical work.  Which partly explains why it is taking so long, but still...

Here are some "during" photos:

 part of the give away/donate pile.

 I see another cookbook purge in our future.

 I could not let go of the 1970s family punch bowl (cups, cup hangers, ladle in bowl).

 the big boys: picnic basket, bread machine, ice cream maker and two slow cookers.

so many containers...evidence I haven't been cooking much lately.

I'm happy to report that we did not see a single mouse poop (we've covered about 75% of the kitchen floor to ceiling, nooks and crannies).  This makes me think the mice have been coming to hang out rather than eat.  And I'm not sure how I feel about that.  On the one hand, it would be an ironic manifestation of our mi casa, su casa family vibe, but on another, I wonder if it may be harder to get rid of our unwelcome guests than if they were just here for food.

Cap (my partner extraordinaire) is due back at the courthouse in the morning (jury duty) and then has a meeting, so we won't be working on the kitchen tomorrow.  But, progress is progress and I love feeling less encumbered.  Every degree feels new and refreshing.

Peace.

2 comments:

Susan Gurry said...

Isn't it amazing how much 'stuff' a small family manages to acquire? Even on a budget? The kitchen is something Neal and I have to tackle, but here is our procrastination: in the fall/winter/spring: "We'll do it in the summer when we have more time"....then, in the summer, "It's too hot....we'll do it in the fall".

Every year, the same thing!

Good for you, though.

shirley said...

Thanks, Sue! And I totally understand that cycle of putting it off till there's a "better" time! An upside of the mouse situation is that it has pushed us to actually do more decluttering rather than talking about it :-) And, yes, it's amazing what a family of four can accumulate, though, Cap and I have been together over 20 years and that adds up in terms of stuff we have, for sure. We kept coming upon things we bought from a shop in Harvard Square that we loved in the 90s, it was next to Cardullo's, but we couldn't remember the name of the store!