Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Continued pause

We are back home, arrived yesterday afternoon.  It was an uneventful trip, one rest area was closed because they had no power, but otherwise, we didn't see much water or debris from our I-95 vantage points.

Luckily, our place never lost power and sustained no damage.  Others in our town were not so lucky, and there are areas of the state that are under water.

Today we spent the day in Queens.

But, the big news is that while we were away, Gem's body revealed that he has new allergies.  They appear to be environmental (cats, mold and/or grass) and, wow, what a whole new ball of wax.  He is exhausted in every way by his symptoms and the way his body has responded to these symptoms.  Late afternoon till he falls asleep have been getting tougher and tougher, the last two nights he hasn't been able to keep his dinner down because of severe post nasal drip.

I am pretty tired and frayed...challenged to say the least, at moments (few and far between) overwhelmed.  We have an appointment with Vinny tomorrow and we'll get in to the pediatrician soon for a referral for an allergist.

In the meantime, tomorrow will be a day of true resettling and rest.  I'll be unpacking, cleaning, food shopping, meal planning...and tending to the boys and their various needs.  I have to get the rent check in the mail, look over the tenant's insurance quote, get the egg order form printed and out, get the quarterly tax form printed and out (yup, we're late on first and second quarters)...

I have phone calls to make to friends far away who I have not connected in awhile and one who has a family member in crisis...and one whose birthday I missed while away.

I have some ideas sitting in my Evernote for getting the new quarter of homeschooling zhushed that I would love to pay some attention to...

I have veggies and fruit that arrived today (the farm is in bad shape...no power, no water, and damage) that need attention...

I am calm.  The stress of tending to the kid does dissipate once he falls asleep and his body is peaceful (he has been sleeping through the night though the nights have been on the shorter side).  I have a great life.  Period.

Here is one of my favorite shots from our vacation.  I will be back when I can, with more photos, more tidbits, more being back.

Peace and love to you.

Sag at Nantasket Beach.

7 comments:

Susan Gurry said...

Poor Gem! It's hard enough for an adult to have allergies....but a kid?

shirley said...

Thanks, Sue. He is getting knocked around by this...sad, frustrated...and so tired!

Jamie said...

I didn't get allergies until I was an adult and I hate them. I hope you are able to find medicine or suppliments that help relieve his symptoms and praying he might be able to grow out of them.

shirley said...

Same here. Cap had a ton of allergies as a kid, but mine, to cats and mold and dust, didn't start until I was an adult.

Hoping for more info and support from our health team today and that he has an easier day. He is still asleep which is great...sleep is the supreme healer!

Julie_c said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Gem. I developed a seasonal allergy about 4 years ago. Mine's on the mild side but it's still a pain. I hope Gem finds some relief.

Glad your house is safe and sound, though.

shirley said...

Thanks Julie!

Shannon said...

Aw, poor guy. Those three are on my list too. I think what with all the rain lately the mold is going crazy. Or something.

By the way, salt water gargles help the post nasal drip induced sore throat.