Saturday, October 30, 2010

Small pleasures

My afternoon could have been about the pursuit of a reddish Kangol-style cap for Gem.  But, faced with an invite to play, he gave the whole costume business some deep thought and decided he could work with a red cap he already has.

So I dropped the kids off and found myself in one of those rare and wonderful situations.  Running errands solo!  I love it.  It feels very freeing being out and about myself getting things done.

First stop was the farmer's market (went for cider and pears and also picked up some greens and celeriac root):


Second was the post office (I have a huge pile of supplies to send to a high school friend and his troop in Afghanistan):


Third was the kind of stop that is rarer than rare.  A local boutique where I found what I needed, some winter cozies (my two beloved cashmere sweaters were enjoyed by critters over the summer) and it took all my Dragon-y strength to not try on and buy shoes.  All of it.  I'm happy I didn't, but ooh, there were a pair of ankle boots I was salivating over.  I stuck to the plan, happy I didn't have to drive out to Marshall's or T.J. Maxx, and leisurely tried on nearly a dozen sweaters.  I came away with a wonderful, drapey, soft sweater vest that I love (100% polyester moth bitches!) and a practical, vibrant, "teacher" sweater (the shop owner said it was popular with teachers and this former teacher could read between the lines---holds up well under the pressure of many, many, many washings :-) that will serve me well and brighten my cold winter mornings around the house:


No comments: