before the second frogging.
I've been cruising along on the Sunday Market Shawl, my eagerness to see it in finished form growing by the row.
When I sat down to reread the pattern before starting on this 2.0 version, I read the words, "ending on a WS (wrong side) row", and thought, "what does that mean...how do you discern RS from WS when knitting in garter stitch?"
The thought wasn't even a voice. You know the voice, the one that is oftentimes small, but speaks the truth and really, you should pay more attention to? Well, it didn't feel like a voice. I thought of calling Wendy. She had knit this pattern before and she's my go to girl for quick knitting advice.
But, I didn't. I thought, "I'll figure this out...it will make sense and become clear eventually." I wanted to get started. I had an itch. You know the itch, the one that just wants to get scratched already?
So, I knit and knit and knit. I showed the growing shawl to friends and family. I knit and knit and knit some more.
And I forgot about the business of WS vs. RS. And my excitement about approaching the end of this project grew. My knitting mojo was back and I started fantasizing about what project would be next.
Then, this morning, I was online and one thing led to another and I found myself rereading the pattern which someone had included in the body of an old e-mail she had sent out awhile ago. And the words, "work scarf in stockinette stitch..." caught my eye.
!@#$
Stockinette. Not garter. Stockinette has a RS and WS. Question answered. Somewhere in the vicinity of 400+ rows or 9000 stitches or 3/4 through the fourth and last ball of yarn.
!@#$
This time I did reach out to Wendy. I sent her a Rav-mail full of f-bombs. (Sorry.) Then I took Baxter for a walk and let the fresh air, cold and drizzly as it was, to clear my mind. And I feel much better.
Time to move on. I will unravel the shawl for a second time. I hope the yarn has not lost the 'stickiness' it needs to work with this laddering effect of the pattern. It very well may have become too smooth from being worked twice now, and a requisite third time before this saga will come to an end.
There's only one way to find out! I have not decided whether to do this all now or whether to take a break with a different project. In the end, I may have to frog it a third time if the laddering doesn't work.

No comments:
Post a Comment