Friday, January 18, 2013

Yesterday

Yesterday marked one week of my lower back-pelvic-abdominal "issues".  Last night and this morning I have not needed to take pain medication.  Progress!

24 hours ago I took an Aleve on an empty stomach and learned why you may or may not want to do that: I spent most of the morning feeling stoned.  (I was desperate with pain and sleep deprivation and not in my right mind to start with.)

I spent much of the day reading (and finishing) a gripping and well written YA novel, Unwind.  

I had my first "food" craving since the new year, definitely hormonal, and it was interesting because no image of a particular food popped into my mind...I found myself mentally inserting former heavy weights like onion rings and ice cream onto the craving throne.  But, there was a distinct disconnect in muscle memory...in the chemical neural pathway.

What finally stirred a flutter of movement was the thought of chocolate.  Which, again, was interesting because in the last 6-12 months I have noticed a definite downturn in my chocolate cravings.

Thankfully, there was leftover skirt steak, rutabaga fries and guacamole in the fridge.  The flavors and fats of the beef and avocado were happily and totally satisfying and satiating.

I ended the day with episodes of two great tv shows: Parks and Rec and American Horror Story: Asylum.  I also watched the Project Runway All-Stars finale and was bored.  (Which was worse than being incensed watching this week's Top Chef.)

The day was also, as usual, punctuated with good food.  


I made this chicken tomato soup for dinner (this is what it looked like right after turning the cooker on low for 6 hours...I opted to partially thaw the chicken overnight in the fridge), which may get the nickname "pizza soup" in our house because to Cap and me its flavors were very reminiscent of pizza.  I tweaked the recipe here and there and next time will tweak it more.  The soup was hearty and flavorful, but there wasn't enough "soup" for me.  Next time I will add more liquid/reduce the amount of chicken.  I used Anthony's pastured chicken breast and his birds are very plump and meaty.  Gem did not care for it, Sag thought it was okay and finished his bowl.


I really love Nom Nom Paleo's recipes.  For lunch I had leftover Curried Cream of Broccoli Soup and following her cue, plopped in a piece of protein (leftover pot roast).  This was such a nourishing, satisfying bowl.  The delicately flavorful soup and the rustic chunk of beef complemented each other nicely.  (Our powerful new stick blender scared me a bit so the soup was not as smooth as smooth can be...next time.  With one of their ubiquitous coupons, we got it for less than the Amazon price at Bed Bath and Beyond.)


My breakfast plate.  As you may have noticed, my food pics tend to be shot before I tuck in.  And I do have a "before" shot of breakfast yesterday.  Three pastured eggs (one was tiny) scrambled with a handful of organic baby spinach in Spanish olive oil.  With a dollop of Basil Salad Dressing on top.  What you may not know (and this will come as no surprise, likely) is that more often than not, I do not eat my meals in one sitting.  This is particularly true of breakfast.  Lately, I tend to start breakfast for myself first and then the kids drift in.  They are learning to do more for themselves in the kitchen, but it takes guidance.  This was my plate after it had been sitting for about twenty minutes.  Still tasty, a little more real.

Peace.

No comments: