Friday, January 25, 2013

Do do do


Not surprisingly, Sag is much more relaxed doing geometry exercises than straight computation equations.  Doing naturally engages him where figuring comes a bit harder.  (Math work has become very challenging and time-consuming for him lately.)

After wavering a bit, I've decided to go ahead with my birthday gathering tomorrow evening.  Lots of folks are sick...it will be a cold night...but timing is kind of everything when it comes to birthdays and scheduling with friends who have kids/families.

I wasn't feeling great myself, yesterday, but my immune system has powered through, it seems.  Feeling much better today.  Once the kids get through their schooling stuff and I finish up my party favor playlist (which I'd be happy to send to anyone, just let me know), I will move along to doing some cleaning and food prep.

What I am making for the shindig: deviled eggs with basil aioli and capers, nut and seed bread, olivada, raspberry brownie bites and sesame kelp noodles (with the Winter Faire sauce).

I've meal planned and made a grocery list for next week (Sat - Fri meal planning seems to be what works for us right now).  I have no formula yet, but have intuitively aimed to buy and spend less.  (And the list is looking good...shorter and less meat to buy!)


Practical practices beginning to form (sorry to those of you for whom this stuff is head-scratchingly obvious):

• choose recipes/dishes based on what we already have in the pantry/fridge.  

• choose recipes which have ingredients in common so, for example, a can of coconut milk can be split amongst two dishes that need half a can each.

• pay attention to the freezer and stay on top of what can and should be used (both ingredients and leftovers), as well as, tossed...before shopping for more.

• rotate meat recipes on a wider scale (the yields tend to be bigger which means less variety during the week); repeat yummy, new veg recipes more frequently to gain practice/efficiency in making them.

I am encouraged by how things have unfolded in this aspect of my life.  I am hoping to turn my attention to developing a meaningful and sustained Qigong practice next month...without losing steam in the Paleo eating/planning/shopping arena.  Fingers crossed.

Peace.

2 comments:

Anna said...

Shirl, I have a Learni.st board with some cool math apps and online tools. I've put this together for my colleagues. Feel free to check out. There are non-computer based worksheets, online games, and everything in between.

http://learni.st/users/34669/boards/8107-math-tools-and-apps

Enjoy your party tomorrow. I am glad you are going through with it AND that you are making deviled eggs, which are one of the world's great wonders. xxoo Anna

shirley said...

Thank you! I will have to remember your fondness for deviled eggs and make them for you sometime :-)

xoxoxo