Today I cleaned out the fridge...there were some very old grains taking up valuable real estate. Some of the last of the CSA winter share got tossed. (Some of it is still hanging in there!) Cap is going to give the year old masa harina and teff a go...both have pretty long shelf lives in cold storage.
I made Asian Cauliflower Fried Rice...and made a rookie mistake...stuffed the food processor with too much cauliflower which resulted in something more akin to cauliflower flour (teeny tiny bits). It was an interesting dish. Flavorful and light...with definite notes of 'acquired taste'.
I also made Tom Kha Gai, using the recipe from Paleo Comfort Foods, and boy this soup made my day.
The first time I had Tom Kha Gai was at Plearn, a Thai restaurant in Berkeley. Cap and I ate there a number of times during our early courtship. I'm not sure why we have never made this soup that Cap loves so...and just as mysterious was that inspiration struck from within the pages of my new Paleo cookbook.
I bought chicken breast from the meat guy at the farmer's market for the first time this weekend. I am beginning to suspect that Anthony's agricultural prowess has supernatural support. His meat and eggs are phenomenally good. The chicken was incredibly tender to the touch...I've never handled raw chicken that delectable! And in the soup, the chicken both stood up to the creaminess of the broth and stood back to allow the lemongrass and ginger to shine. Magic.
There was also folding laundry, having Daniel over, and riding some swells as my body adjusts and adjusts and adjusts again. Today I had the strangest sensation of cavernous hunger (as if my stomach fell out of my body leaving a yawning, gaping hole)...ten minutes after finishing lunch. The feeling passed after about fifteen minutes.
I have many thoughts about what I could/should/would do (about: sleep, Qigong, caffeine, dairy, homeschooling, decluttering, financial housekeeping...and all the myriad rest of it) but I am letting those float by me for the most part. Keeping it organic, doing what makes sense.
The four of us are in the living room right now: the Pittsburgh-Denver game is on, Sag is drawing, Gem is reading, Cap is prepping for table activities and I am blogging. Sag and I will watch the new episode of Once Upon A Time once the game is over...the game is now in overtime!
The four of us are in the living room right now: the Pittsburgh-Denver game is on, Sag is drawing, Gem is reading, Cap is prepping for table activities and I am blogging. Sag and I will watch the new episode of Once Upon A Time once the game is over...the game is now in overtime!
Wishing you a good start to your week with this delightful song that grabbed me in the kitchen tonight.
No comments:
Post a Comment