Yesterday, a pretty pic, today a fabu recipe.
Nom Nom Paleo did it again. I tried a new-to-me recipe by her and, oh, it made me so happy. Slow Cooker Roast Chicken and Gravy. I plucked our pastured whole chicken out of the defrost pan in the fridge. Cap dried it and seasoned it with salt, pepper and Sunny Paris while I chopped the onion, peeled the garlic and sautéed them in olive oil with a dollop of tomato paste. Plopped the umami-ed up (and seasoned) aromatics in the slow cooker and Cap nestled in the chicken. Poured in some chicken broth and honey wine. Turned it on "low" and left it alone for just under five hours. (Cooking times can vary, used our instant read thermometer to determine when our bird was ready.)
The chicken was succulent and tasty. The best roast chicken I've made, I believe. (But, if I'm being honest, roast chicken is so good that it kind of feels that way every time.) But, the gravy, oh man, the gravy.
After you pull the chicken out of the cooker, there's a mess of yum left in the bowl. Our immersion blender broke a few months ago and has not been replaced. (One would have been handy today, though it wasn't necessary.) After the delicious dregs cooled a bit, they were poured into the Vitamix. And blitzed into an incredibly savory gravy in no time.
It was the best gravy I have ever made. Possibly the best gravy I have ever eaten. No gluten-free casein-free qualifiers, either, though this gravy was both. (It was totes Paleo.)
I could very well have disappeared this gravy, a spoonful at a time, until it was all gone.
Peace.

1 comment:
Yum ...I'm going to try this one!
BTW, there is a good hand blender available at Costco. Mine broke several months ago, and I've been missing it, but not enough to plunk down the money for a new one. The one at Costco is a cuisinart (I think) and it's 20 bucks. And it's awesome. Can't figure out how I lived without it now.
Post a Comment