Monday, April 02, 2012

Some monday yum


Sag's big Mitsuwa treat is the curry rice.  I grew up eating Japanese curry rice (it is an incredibly popular dish in Japan, easily prepared at home with curry roux bars...curry rice is also very easy to find as an eating out option).  Eating curry rice is a major highlight of any trip Cap takes to Japan.  Sag has happily taken up the mantle of the next generation of curry lovers in our household.

Unfortunately, the roux contains wheat.  So, Gem has not tried it.  (Cap wants to learn how to make it gluten-free, but given Gem's taste buds, I honestly think there is no rush.)

For a long time we didn't make it at home because of cross-contamination concerns.  We never bake or cook with wheat flour.  Our cooking vessels and utensils are nearly virginal when it comes to contact with gluten.

Enter the single size heat-and-serve packets of curry: Sag's culinary life has changed forever.  From an environmental perspective (not to mention nutritional...this stuff is pretty processed), buying this curry kills me a little inside every time.

But, it's a treat, and an undeniable part of Sag's cultural heritage.


I am planning on doling these out no more than once a week.  (We squeeze out two servings per box for my still growing boy...for now.)


I don't even know why I'm posting this pic.  It really is kind of gross looking.  But, visuals are nice!  Mondays seem to be my braise/slow cook a big pot of meat day.  It's a way to have "go to" protein in the fridge for the rest of the week.  Today it's Homestyle Braised Pork from Nina Simonds' book.  This is a simple and very tasty recipe which I haven't made in way too long.  I am off to remove that top layer of scum off the yummy pork and broth and take the Dutch oven off the heat.

What's cooking in your kitchen?

No comments: