Saturday, April 28, 2012

Creamy quinoa


It was so tasty I was down to my last bites before I could tear myself away to grab my camera.

Yesterday afternoon I spent some time pulling out cookbooks and trying to meal plan.  One of the books, 3 Bowls, had a recipe for Creamy Quinoa.  It was so simple, and quinoa is so nutritious, I made note of it.

This morning, I realized we had quinoa (we usually do because Gem really likes it...but I don't make it often because no one else really does) so I made it creamy style.

Rinse 1 cup quinoa well and drain.  In medium saucepan combine quinoa with 4 cups water and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to very low, cover and cook till thickened, about 30 minutes.  Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt.  Serve hot with fave condiments.

When I lifted the lid at 30 minutes, the quinoa was thick, but I could still see liquid.  I turned the heat off and stirred the quinoa for a minute or two and the water absorbed quickly and the quinoa was ready, nice and creamy.

I had soy-free Earth Balance, maple syrup and wheat-free tamari on the table.  

Gem tried it sweet and then savory and could not get past the texture (his brain was not happy... oatmeal = creamy + quinoa = nubby and it's going to take awhile for the 'twain to meet).  

Sag had his sweet (I promised him Kerrygold butter next time) and was surprised that it wasn't totally gross.  He ate about half his bowl.

I loved it!  I wasn't planning on eating any because last I checked I was trying to get back to being fully grain-free and do Dragon's Way without non-veg or fruit carbs.  But, when Gem didn't consume more than a lick, I decided to eat his sweet bowl.

I found it more palatable than quinoa made the regular way, which I prefer mixed with other things, as in a salad.  (Unlike Gem who likes a big bowl of it with Earth Balance and wheat-free tamari.)  As far as creamy hot cereals go, I found the flavor of the quinoa to be more complex than oatmeal.  Good oatmeal has a firm place in the breakfast pantheon...but the creamy quinoa was quite special.

Peace and love.


No comments: