Thursday, April 05, 2012

Home before leaving

My fifth Spring in the Garden State, my first bout with Spring allergies.  It's not too bad, but it is something.

Have gone to bed "early" the past two nights, slept soundly and am still waking beat up.

Opted out of car shopping this morning.  Stuff was spilling off my plate.

The kids and I have started The Game of Silence and it is a heart wrencher.  Only those who have known me for a very long time know that there was a time when I was passionate about American Indian/Native American life in the United States.  I felt a strong connection and came close to pursuing a Master's in public health in order to go onto a reservation to work with women and children, in particular.

Reading these books by Louise Erdrich (one of my favorite authors and an enrolled member of the Ojibwe/Chippewa tribe) brings me right back to the painful and poignant and passionate sense of injustice done to the native tribes...the so often forgotten touchstone of original American tragedy.

I am heading back into the kitchen.  Today I make some dishes to contribute to our Easter dinner (gluten-free, casein-free, Paleo and Paleo-ish that travel well), as well as food for the car and food to have on hand while we're away.  Yep, I'll be cooking all day.

Today's Tiny Desk Concert lifted my spirits.  I love love love Kathleen Edwards.  Enjoy.


No comments: