Thursday, October 13, 2011

Here

Cap came back and I became a stress ball.  I think his return allowed me to fall apart a bit.  I am feeling better already.  Beginning to say "no" to things has helped.  Letting go of "should" has helped, too.

Yesterday was spent, essentially, in the kitchen.  I cooked for common meal.  It was time consuming, yes.  But, also very satisfying.


Gem dubbed this "The Epic Stir Fry".  Baby bok choy, Swiss chard, collard greens, onion, garlic and ginger (all but the ginger from the farm)...it took me a long time to make it because of the all washing, chopping and stirring.


We were down to the wire cash-wise so I improvised with fridge and pantry items.  This is a traditional Japanese home cooking dish called nimono.  Tofu, daikon and hard boiled egg braised in water, wheat-free tamari, honey, salt and dashi (fish stock).


I really appreciate Mark Bittman.  He recently published a matrix of mostly savory apple recipes that I found quite intriguing.  I made one of the dishes for last night's meal: apple with shallots and thyme.

It was another comforting feast.  I also made a salad with a lovely head of lettuce from the farm and perhaps my best batch of honey-mustard vinaigrette yet.  Cap made corn bread and I defrosted and reheated some brown rice leftover from our last common meal.  We also sautéed some chicken apple sausage for the kids.

There is so much abuzz...things to do, places to go, lots of thinks to think.

4 comments:

Jamie said...

I give you credit for cooking all these meals. Wish I could get myself to cook more but it just doesn't happen. Thanks for sharing the photos. It all looks yummy.

Saying "no" and letting go of "should" are definitely worth it. I always have a hard time saying "no" especially at work. I was told to try saying "while I can't do all that I can do this much." So, at least I'm not taking it all on.

shirley said...

Thanks, Jamie. xo

Susan Gurry said...

Yes, your attention to detail in the food you cook is amazing! And the end results are beautiful also....how do you make your chicken stock?

shirley said...

Thank you, Sue. I do love food.

I don't always use homemade chicken stock. But, when I do make it, I use the Nourishing Traditions recipe:

http://eatlikebubba.blogspot.com/2009/09/chicken-bone-broth-nourishing.html

xo