Friday, October 07, 2011

My young dragon

Gem was born in the Year of the Dragon.  Not only that, he is a Metal Dragon.  "Metal strengthens this already strong sign. Metal Dragons are more determined and they’ll fight for what they believe in."  Yup.  Sometimes, Gem's strength surfaces as stubbornness.  A very fierce tenacity.

Tonight, he cried and raised his voice and then lolled around on the floor for nearly two hours refusing to go to bed "without company".  Sag was already in bed at this point.  He didn't really want company, he wanted me.

I sent Sag to the big bed so he could have some peace and proceeded to finish watching Modern Family (ha, I think I forgot to put that on my list, too) and then moved on to Project Runway.  Gem lay on the floor quietly repeating "want company"...like a mantra...for close to an hour.

Fierce.  I'm telling you.

He'd had a tough time earlier in the day and I had supported and seen him through that.  Based on my observations, he wasn't literally, truly suffering.  He was grappling with control/independence...which he has been for a few weeks now...entering a particularly meaty part of tweenhood, perhaps.

This kind of drama is unusual for Gem and I have, up till now, associated it with something physical manifesting.  Fighting a bug, getting sick...  It was very interesting to see a new side of him emerging today.

I'm no Dragon (though I strive to be one as I travel the Dragon's Way :-)  However, watch out my youngling, because I am the first-born daughter of none other than...a Metal Dragon.  I have been influenced, watching and learning fierce stubbornness since the day I was born.


No comments: