Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Heeding the call

Hm.

I am not feeling overwhelmed, but...I am something that is not content and tranquil.  And it has to do with what I perceive as "a lot" going on and, I suppose, not enough down time.

I have been making efforts to get "out" more with the kids, to present them with opportunities for new activities...

I have worked hard to ensure they have time to play with friends who have gone back to school and whose schedules are now quite tight...

I have signed myself up for new activities...

There has been renewed focus on the more structured academic side of my homeschooling, what I am making in the kitchen, and the big declutter/reorg 2011...

Yes.  There has been a lot going on.  And, for this introvert, things are starting to feel a bit uncomfy.  I need more quiet than I am getting.  I need some solitude.

I did spend some time in the kitchen today, which is as close to a meditative state as I can get, I think.  I made roasted nuts and for the first time, cilantro chimichurri.  Since Cap is leaving for Sacramento this week, I decided to choose cilantro over dill at our CSA pick-up.  I was excited to use the bunch to make something lovely and green.


I used pecans, pistachios and almonds for the nuts.  I was surprised at how much salt it took to get these tasty in a salty way.  I also added chili powder.  What inspired me about this recipe was the use of pistachios.  I fell in love with pistachios (and dates) when I lived in Sacramento.  Both were grown locally and there's just something so scrumptious about foods that are super fresh.  I never think of pistachios as being available shelled until I saw this recipe.  I was happy to include them...love the hints of green they give to the dish.


Wow.  I'll be making chimichurri again.  This is so up my alley!  I kept it very simple today and did not use the vinegar, lime juice or red pepper flakes.  I love the color and the concentrated flavor.  And I love making condiments that are so easy and pair with favorite foods.  Tonight it was steak, tomorrow morning it will be scrambled eggs.


Dinner was delicious.  (The kids loved the steak, did not try the chimichurri.)

At the last minute, the kids and I decided to head over to Daniel's school for their back-to-school night.  He is in Drums of Thunder this year and they were scheduled to perform.  Well, they saved the best for last, so we ended up sitting through the whole event.  It turned out to be quite the opportunity for the kids to get a glimpse of aspects of "school": the pledge of allegiance complete with boy scout color guard, a principal who seemed to be funny (they didn't "get" most of his humor, but could see that he was getting laughs from the adults), droning PTA announcements, teachers being recognized, parents being recognized, a power point of student performance on last year's standardized tests...they saw one of their baseball coaches and said "hi" which was nice.

The best part was, of course, seeing Daniel perform.  But, it was wonderful to see a singing group and a dance group, too.  This elementary school (3rd, 4th and 5th grades) has a strong arts program and it showed.

So busy, busy, busy, yes.  Tired, that too (and my lower back really hurts tonight!)  But, it's all good in the end.  Take a listen to Drums of Thunder.  These are 4th and 5th graders from two years ago.  (Daniel will likely not play a Nets game because of the NBA lock out, but he'll be playing the Giants game this weekend and Montclaur State's homecoming game at the end of the month.)

I was moved to tears watching him and his drum corps mates up on stage tonight.  So proud.

1 comment:

Susan Gurry said...

Small world....in my elementary school years and early high school, I was in the Color Guard of a competitive drill team. I spent many hours of pleasure at Drill team and drum and bugle corps competitions....The Boston Crusaders were on top of the world! I love the movie "Drum Line" and still enjoy sneaking some youtube drum corps videos....this video is awesome!