Friday, April 16, 2010

Creating peace (one task at a time)

Tonight "picking up living room" was left on my list.  I was stuffed from dinner (normally enervating), but was energized by my motivation to get this one last item checked off.  I figured I had an hour before doing bath time with the kids so I got out the timer and got to work.

I love modeling these strategies!  I love that the kids are hearing and seeing and understanding that I am trying something new to help me stay on track.  They have front row seats to a grown up identifying an issue, testing possible solutions and jumping about with joy as she succeeds.

I set and reset the timer for ten minute increments.  One of the times it went off I was reaching my hand over the mouse to check e-mail.  Snagged!

It took less than an hour to do a general pick up and boy, did that feel good, to get it done.

As I picked up and organized, I made a pile of my current books and it looked so lovely.  Warm and inviting and peaceful.


1 comment:

Unschoolers Rock the Campground said...

I have recently started doing 15 minute pick ups throughout the day. It is amazing how it is making life easier for me as far as housework.

I love when the kids see us dealing with things in healthy ways. What a great way to learn how to deal.