Thursday, April 15, 2010

Short sprints

One of the ADD books mentions utilizing 'short sprints' of mood, motivation and/or energy to get the things you want to do, done.

This would have never occurred to me because I think of myself as such a slow moving entity.  A manatee :-)

But, as these words and ideas seep into my subconscious and stick there, because somewhere down there a part of me knows it makes sense...or at the very least it sounds worth trying, I am finding myself moving and acting in short sprints and getting things done.

The day's agenda helps, keeping it simple helps, sprinting to the end of a task (when energy/focus starts to flag) helps, self-talk helps.  This is so interesting and rewarding.

This morning I photocopied the tax forms, addressed the envelopes, wrote one check (instead of two, yay!) and handed everything over to Cap, who was going to the post office.  Afterward, I felt a very familiar letdown of energy as the adrenalin left my body.

Typically, this sort of energy letdown would lead to a haze of unfocused inactivity which could last for hours...or honestly?...for the rest of the day.

Today, I could feel the haze settling almost from outside my body.  And this external awareness helped me click into the strategies I've been reading about.  The out-of-body clarity I think came from the new herbs I'm taking kicking into full gear (which happened after the intense PMS and start of period roared through me...who knows maybe that intensity was part of the herbs kicking in).

So I made bread, cleaned the bathroom, practiced Qigong and made a new recipe for dinner.  Four of the five things on my list, accomplished.  As strange as this may seem to you, this does feel like an accomplishment to me.  I did more than these things today, but without a list guiding me, these are all things which could have easily fallen by the wayside.  Day after day after day...until my mood latched onto the activity for one random and unplanned reason or another, or, some sort of emotional trigger forced my hand (like cleaning the bathroom to avoid the shame of a guest walking into my really gross bathroom).

I have one more thing left on my list, so I'm off to do that now.

Peace and love, people.


No comments: