Friday, April 16, 2010

Sucker for the smell

I am incredibly olfactory.  A highly sensitive smeller rather than a super smeller, I'd say.  Doesn't matter if they're good or bad, scents barrel their way right into my central nervous system and have their way with me.

I don't mind, it's been this way forever.

The other day, I was at Whole Foods and had to wait for some salmon sushi to be rolled.  I was alone and the store was pretty empty so I strolled around trying to hold the thought that this was dangerous impulse shopping territory.

Moments like these can actually be useful for me.  Having just a bit of time and space for myself, in the right environment, allows threads that typically don't make it to each other, to magically weave together quickly...magnetically.

The chaos of Spring has dried out my skin.  My scattered mind had noticed this, but hadn't yet gotten around to doing anything about it.  I found myself walking the health and beauty care aisle and standing in front of this:


I opened one and took a sniff...heaven.  Turns out there is grapefruit essential oil in there...one of my favorites.  It's a small meditation now when I remember to put some on my hands at night before turning in.

No comments: