Friday, June 12, 2009

Keeping it simple, taking it slow

The truth is that I tend to this anyway. Or at least strive to. Check out the Zen Habits post I shared last night in the Shared Items box. I think I'm going to print that one out and slap it up on the wall here. Right where I will see it multiple times a day.

On Gem's birthday I found myself getting really angry at two different people...at e-mails they sent me. I knew then that I was not at peace inside. So yesterday I really slowed it down. I read, I frogged the 13 foot long scarf (turned out to be unexpectedly meditative), fixed easy and simple food for me and the kids and enjoyed a scrumptious dinner made by Cap, listened to Josh Ritter, etc.

The most important thing I did towards my end goal was to not feel bad about completely letting go and just being. Something we should all be doing every day, but something our assorted baggage rarely lets us do. We "should" be doing this, we "should" be doing that. The guilt, the self-loathing, the confusion...not peaceful.

This is the book I started reading this morning. Some delicious horror à la Stephen King. The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro (writer/director of Pan's Labyrinth, a movie I loved) and Chuck Hogan.

Looking forward to another peaceful day. How about you?

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Thank you for this openness -- and for the frequent reminders you offer of things I really need to hear. Because, yes, I need to be reminded every day to give myself permission to take things as slowly as I need to... To just breathe, to just be *present*. I'm so glad to see that you are doing that for yourself, as well. *many hugs*