Monday, June 22, 2009

Movement

Took a walk around the block this morning and enjoyed the cloudy, humid, cool.

Had a "moment" when I walked into the kitchen to eat breakfast and was gripped by the feeling that I had to have eggs. The trickiest part of changing my eating habits is the powerful whim of these strong urges. When is an urge an urge and not a desire in disguise?

I try not to think about it too much, and certainly, to not get down on myself about it. That serves no one. Today, I called Wendy. She told me what I already knew. Eggs are a good source of protein, they don't affect me like dairy, and they won't require as much as energy to digest as meat would. Just eat the eggs if that is what's being called for. Even if it was my first meal since I declared I was going vegan for awhile :-)

As luck would have it, there were no eggs in the house. It was very interesting how my mind shifted immediately away from my "need". Suddenly it was no longer crucial to have eggs. Does it simply come down to ages old feelings of deprivation rearing up to lay claim on the freedom I now have to eat whatever my heart desires and my body has access to?

(Which of course then begs the question...am I really "free"?)

I happily spread some scape pesto onto toast and ate that with half a navel orange and some Cold Prevention tea with agave. Yum.

Gem and I went out on a rare trip to our local Barnes and Noble. He received a B&N gift card for his birthday and wanted to spend it. I had a confusing interaction with the store manager who first told me I needed some letter to apply for an Educator's discount card. When I countered with the equivalent of "oh, really?", he explained that each store does what it wants and his store follows "the policy" of asking for the letter. And then, with no prompting from anyone or anything visible to my eye or sensed by my pretty strong intuition, proceeded to lead me to the front of the store and issued me a card! Serious "huh?" moment.

Gem very happily picked up two Indiana Jones books (thanks Julie :-) and I picked up a Josh Ritter cd that is currently only available at B&N and Newbury Comics (not even BCCLS has it...I know! ), some thank you cards which I will wring out of my son come hell or high water, and a deluxe edition of Clue.

(This is a game we've wanted for about a year. But, me and my persnickety self have been reluctant to buy the current "regular" version because the of the images used on the cards, board and box. But, I've been too cheap to shell out the dough for the deluxe version of the game with the "classic" images. My mom gave us some money for the kids in honor of Gem's birthday so I used some of it to finally pick it up today.)

So chatty today... I'm feeling movement, and it feels good. Off to feed/eat lunch, meal plan, and hoping to get some qi gong in before Lukas and Owen come over to play.

And speaking of movement. I am loving the wind these days. More often than not they are accompanying storms which have caused some damage at our CSA farm, but I really do love me these tree-rocking winds.

2 comments:

Holly said...

Ooh. Can I play Clue with you guys next time we visit? I'm kind of a fanatic - since childhood. Lucia says to me, "Mama, let's play a board game, but not Clue." I even once hosted a "Come As Your Favorite Clue Character" Party and Tournament. (There's a photo on my FB page.) I'd love to do another one of those...
We had a sick day today so I decided it was my day to sit on my butt and catch up on blogs! Love you!

shirley said...

Yes! Yes! Love you too.