At the second shop I mulled and mulled and mulled. So many colors and color combos. Just one skein needed. I finally made my selection. I had a second skein of Gem's sock yarn in my hands because I was worried about running out of yarn. The owner of the shop asked what I was making with that yarn and when she realized why I was buying it, she reassured me that I would have enough with the one skein. Then she said she'd hold the second skein for me and to call her when I finished the socks and she'd put it back on the shelf only then. Loved that.
This shop gives a discount for Ravelry members so I spoke the secret code for November and waltzed out a happy woman. With one precious skein. Which I will remain coy about for now.
My socks kept my feet quite toasty this fluttery morning. I had my pants cuffed (to better show off the socks, my dear) and with the occasional gust of wintry wind, I did feel some chill come through the stitches. But, that is to be expected with worsted weight socks :-) They added a spring to my step and I love them.
11 comments:
Okay, I have to know: are the reversals/shifts in the pattern from one sock to the next intentional, or part of a sock knitters learning curve? Personally, I like it. It makes them totally unique. Just curious whether it's intentional or not.
Kelly
Unintentional, which was intentional, if you catch my drift :-)
I was not concerned with lining up the color pattern. And, as it turned out, they didn't line up :-)
It is possible to line them up, I think.
hi p.s i did not read the post p.s.s bye
I love those socks! What an awesome accomplishment.
wow. i'm sitting here all chilly with partially frozen finger tips, a girly blanket over my lap, a warm child in slippery pj's on top of my lap, and my feet are jealous that yours are wrapped in DIY knitted socks. i wish there was a fiber arts gathering by me!!! i would love to learn this skill!
I wish we could shrink the state every now and again to facilitate getting together :-)
that would certainly be handy lol!! the fiber arts group you are part of--is it a pay thing? generally in the montclair area? there lots of kids? could i ever show up for just one and hope that one of you skillful mommas could get me started perhaps??
oh and do you make leg/arm warmers?? there are so many i want to buy on etsy. but would rather support a friend i know, ykwim?
Fun Fiber Arts as it is called, is comprised of mostly hs-ers you know! Kate, Kelly, Mary, I think you know, and then there's Shannon Mathes and Elizabeth and Felicia. And Holly before she moved to upstate though she still comes when she's in town.
You could totally come whenever you wanted---I'll put it out to the group, I'm sure there wouldn't be any objections.
It's every Monday afternoon and we rotate hosting. Most everyone does live in Essex County.
It's at my house next week.
The amount of fiber art-ing that actually gets done is negligible some weeks. The kids have a blast running around and playing (unless you're like my Aki or Owen...) The moms talk and eat/drink and sometimes knit or crochet or sew or whatever :-)
I have been thinking of knitting some arm warmers. Check these babies out. I am going to knit them sometime this winter. I have to, I can't stop thinking about them!
http://a-friend-to-knit-with.blogspot.com/2008/09/toasttoasty.html
If I am successful, I can teach you how to knit them and/or if the experience seem worth repeating (I can't imagine it wouldn't be, but you never know with knitting) I'd be happy to knit you a pair :-)
That's exactly the type of arm warmers I would like!! Chocolate and Charcoal colors!! Hey it would be cool if we could trade items we've crafted instead of money =P
Maybe after TG, I'll be able to attend at least one FFA get togethers!!
Aren't they great?
I love trading/bartering/swapping :-)
Post a Comment