Thursday, November 06, 2008

Choco-goodness

This is going on the "To Do" list for this weekend. Julie, I think of you often when posting recipes. I know the chagrin of getting excited about a potential recipe only to find that the substitutions needed make it unwieldy. Sorry...

Yesterday turned into a cook-fest. Cap is just too busy to cook/prep for our co-op dinners. In fact, he sometimes is too busy to just come and eat. So, I have become the regular cook in our household, which I don't mind at all.

Last night's meal was typical. The theme becomes "what do I feel like cooking/eating?" despite all efforts to create a meal with...less of a self-absorbed slant.

I made: Thai curry with tofu and bell peppers over brown rice, tzatziki with plain cow's milk (full fat, baby) yogurt (Gem hates cukes and was not going to want any part of this dish), and corn bread topped with pumpkin butter (homemade though I used canned pumpkin).

After dinner and clean up, I folded laundry very slowly, I was so tired (drained from my full on election emotions). I banished the kids to their beds to read and watched "Year of the Dog". It was an interesting movie. I like Mike White's work (he's a Wes grad). There's a vein of melancholy/darkness/pain that runs through it which appeals to me.

P.S. I just added the links and the tzatziki recipe I linked you to is not the one I used. My recipe was from one of the Moosewood cookbooks.

2 comments:

Julie_c said...

I saw year of the Dog. I was a little disappointed - mainly b/c the preview I saw made it seem like a comedy. That wasn't a comedy at all. I'd call it a quirky drama.

Oh, that poor little girl crying when Molly Shannon wanted to take her to the chicken slaughter house!!! AH!

Hey - what did you think of the new Harold and Kumar? I wasn't too crazy about that one either. But I did love Neil Patrick Harris. He's awesome.

shirley said...

I agree it was not a comedy.

I liked H&K. I liked the first one more.

One of the things I really appreciate about the movies is that the two main characters/actors come from minority backgrounds.

There are subtle references within the movie to this, but it's not the overriding theme of the movie.

That being said, a movie has to deliver for total enjoyment. I'd give H&K Escape Guantanamo 3 stars.

I like NPH so much that I've started watching How I met Your Mother, again.