Saturday, June 21, 2008

Party on


Kelly and Todd hosted a sending off BBQ for Mary and the girls (they're off to Ireland for three months). It was the Fiber Arts gang and it was a fun party.

Sag and Gem spent the first couple of hours in the pool with Malik. Sag tried on Lila's goggles, loved the nose covering, and a few minutes later stunned me by swimming! There he was with his head under water, arms and legs going, making forward progression :-)

They also loved climbing up and down the ladder to the "treehouse" and caught some episodes of Avatar on dvd (a show many kids we know love, but they remain lukewarm about (I really like it :-)

Cap had a good time chatting with some of the grown-ups for a long time (he rarely gets to socialize with these folks---true of most of the dads in this group).

I love Kelly and Todd's yard and found myself simply zenning out to the sounds and feel of splashing water, drinking in the variegated greenery, and floating amidst the colors and laughter and hearts of the kids moving in and out of my space.

The food was excellent, as usual. Kelly's grilled tofu with a to-die-for miso-mayo sauce, Mary's potato salad, Kate's kale dish, and the cold herbal tea that matched quite nicely with a couple splashes of lemonade. And my sun cake for dessert. Yum.

Lately, I am finding myself almost giddy at times because we are not moving this summer. Part of my mind is hardwired for it, moving, because it's what we've done the last two places we've lived. At two years we picked up and moved. Far. But, not this year. It's nice.

I am grateful for the community of friends we've made here and am eager to settle in for some more time together.

No pics of the party---I wanted to just go and be.

2 comments:

Julie_c said...

Sounds like a lovely party. You reminded me though that I need to get Cam some swimming lessons - or goggles.

shirley said...

I actually need to sign Sag up for the next session myself. His friend, Owen, is opting to stay back in Polliwog 1 so Sag won't be left behind alone. So sweet.

Gem is considering taking the class. He wanted to wait till late fall, but Danielle warned him that the water in the pool is COLD in the colder months and uncomfortable for some kids.

I think he is also impressed by the progress that Sag has made. And I finally got him water wings which has boosted his confidence and motivation.

He was really happy wading around in the pool yesterday, too.