Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Ooh la la

Pippa says: follow me and see what changes have been happening in the yard and garden!

Hydrangeas are starting to bloom. The delicacy of the color beginning to infuse the petals is breathtaking...

I don't know what this flower is called. It's been blooming for weeks now along the driveway of our house. They are almost finished.

The wild roses in the wisteria are wasting away.

The corn which was decimated by the furious digging of a squirrel looking for that nut it was certain lay beneath the dirt in this pot.

I'll admit I haven't been by the garden in five days or so. It's been raining in stormy bursts nearly daily. What growth has occurred! Front left are the cukes, front right is the summer squash, back left are the beans and back right are the spinach.

To think that the cukes were grown on a whim. These plants have been a source of joy. I love the tendrils.

So much.

I've long been drawn to spirals in designs and textiles. It is so cool to have them reveal themselves to me in the natural world.

I probably have to get or make some stakes that are taller than the ones in the planter right now. The cukes are almost as tall as them!

A detail of the squash plant. The big leaves are initially impressive, but this stalk, whoa, really thick and strong. When I took the picture I didn't notice the little bud there (where the stalk branches out).

The spinach looked big enough to eat!

These are the tomatoes which were grown from seed. They may not be getting as much sun as the rest of the plants. They're growing, but don't seem to be thriving. I also need to cut back the bushy growth behind the plant.

This butterfly (and/or members of its tribe) are frequent visitors to our yard. I was excited that this one stopped long enough for me to photograph!

May your day (and week and month and summer) have that swinging feeling!

4 comments:

JET said...

Once again I really like your photos for this post- especially the close up images. I also liked the tendrils. My favorite is the first one where you can see the shadow of the tendril on the leaf.

shirley said...

Oh you have a picture!!! I love it...you do have really beautiful, naturally curly hair :-)

I'm glad you liked the photos.

I have been really happy with some of the photos I've been getting with my trusty old point and shoot these days.

And I love how small and portable it is.

Aaaand, with all the fantasies I've been having about yarn and knitting lately, I think any spare coin I have will be going to my LYS (local yarn shop in knitting lingo :-)

So no new camera for me for now.

Anonymous said...

My favorite pic is the beautiful baby holding the flower and pointing. You keep company with the most scrumptious bunch of children! (Not to mention having two yummy ones of your own!!)

xo Kelly

JET said...

The natural curly hair was the reason for looking for this image but the kicker was that she happened to have a glove on!

I think the point and shoot is doing a great job. Maybe you could even sneak in a few shots with Gem's camera!