Sunday, October 02, 2011

Modern marvel


How awesome is my vacuum cleaner that, here, a few years later, I am falling in love with it all over again?

Really awesome.  I am familiarizing myself with its bits and extra functions, something I've always left up to Cap.  This thing is designed so well.  As I used it to vacuum behind bookshelves, in and along heating vents, along carpet edging and up and down walls, not to mention vacuuming the tv set, I relished the experience.  Thank you, Dyson.  (And Kelly for letting me give hers a trial run way back when, and Cap for fighting against his sensibilities and shelling out the dough for this baby.)

We worked on more of the living room today and are about 2/3 done.  Last night, Cap showed me once again that he is my hero when he determined that our tv shelving unit could take wires in and out through its back and proceeded to set up the DVD player, cable box, modem and Wii neatly on a shelf.

More details to follow...here's hoping we survive the dust!  (Air purifiers have been going full blast.  And an awesome vacuum cleaner really helps.)

3 comments:

Susan Gurry said...

Neal and I recently let our housecleaner go...we've had one since EC was born (since we were both working, I refused to let our weekends be consumed with cleaning and instead used that as family time). I admit I got spoiled. We went out and bought a Dyson canister vacuum Saturday night....one advertised for homes with pets! I liked the canister b/c it is lightweight and it is easy to carry up and down stairs (since we live on 3 floors)....go Dyson!

shirley said...

The Dyson is so much lighter than the Kenmore we tried out before getting it. The sucking power is amazing and I love that you can see how much dust you're pulling up into the canister :-)

I totally get paying someone to clean in order to free up your time. Family time is so valuable and really precious when both parents are working.

Was letting your house cleaner go part of your money saving plan?

Susan Gurry said...

Yes, letting Van go is part of our money saving...really being forced to since Neal is planning to retire and will only be bringing home 75% of his current income....I am so not ready to retire! Letting Van go broke my heart because she has been with us for 15 years and calls us her "American family"....and I hate squeezing cleaning into my life...between work, the gym, biking, make things, friends and stuff, it feels awful...but I am spoiled. And I really loved having money to spend on nice things...if I needed new running shoes, I simply went to Marathon Sports and bought them.

A a kid we were poor and I learned to sew to make dresses for parties and dates....we couldn't ever buy stuff we wanted, only what we 'needed'. All through college I worked for my spending money, rent, and tuition....(my parents couldn't pay for any of it) so I really never wanted to have to do that again....cut coupons, buy second-hand or last year's clothes, or "make do"...I liked style, nice hair, and nice things....but things are changing now and I have to adapt! I am trying to look at it as a craft project to make it fun....(-: