Wednesday, September 01, 2010

The Hallowell article

I've had an article by Ed Hallowell in my things since graduate school.  When I first read it, nearly 20 years ago, I saw the piece as something special.  It was just so damned practical, clear, non-judgmental, and written for and about a (still) under-diagnosed population: adults with ADD/ADHD.

The article has survived numerous moves, my personal exit from the field, and my gradual shedding of my 'professional' collection of books and articles pertaining to special education.

The piece is that good.

And it has found its way before me again.  This time as I flicked open old files one manila folder after another and the kids' "reuse" paper basket level rose and rose.  I started reading and came to a shuddering halt when I read this (from the 'Insight and Education' section):

"Understand that you are drawn to high stimuli.  Try to choose them wisely, rather than brooding over the "bad" ones."

I'm keeping this article handy.  And hope to take another look at those books I ordered awhile ago.  It's remarkable reading things about one's self that turn on a light of warm understanding :-)

You can find 50 Tips On The Management Of Adult Attention Deficit Disorder online, here.

No comments: