Wednesday, September 01, 2010

What would (insert name here) do?


My first pair of shoes dipped in copper and mounted on a base which has slots on the back to slide a picture frame into.  (The frame is long gone.)

I can't bring myself to dump it into the garbage bag, but this is exactly the kind of shit memorabilia that whoever survives my passing into the great beyond is going to have sift through and then throw out.

12 comments:

Julie_c said...

Ah - that's a toughie. I, too, tend to keep things like this or feel I should keep things like this. But you are right. Who really is going to want those? They're just too big. Maybe you should simple save this picture of them. :) Can you boil down the copper and smelt it into something useful??? ;)

shirley said...

Ooh, I've read about taking pictures of things to "remember" things by instead of holding on to the bulky objects themselves. Thanks for the reminder. Boiling down the copper, lol.

Denise said...

I don't have an ounce of sentimentality. I would totally dump them!

Anonymous said...

You made me laugh with this one.: ) I'd probably dump it, but I'm not sure . . . something to consider when you name the executor of your will!

shirley said...

My kids noticed the shoes out and when I mentioned my dilemma, my 8 yo son (the one whose emotional DNA seems more derived from mine) reacted very strongly to the idea of throwing them out. "It's an important memory!," he cried. We had an interesting discussion about the role of "memory" in this situation :-)

Shannon said...

Do they make you happy or do they make you feel stressed?

Do you want to keep them or do you feel you *should* keep them?

Just looking at your face in that picture, I'd say those shoes are not bringing joy to your life, but burden and heaviness and "I should".

shirley said...

Funny you should mention the expression on my face. I took some pics smiling and some pics with a kind of goofy "what should I do?!" face. This shot was the one that felt right...kind of neutral/serious :-)

You ask good questions. I don't really want them...but I will say that as I trash a bunch of other stuff, I feel an opening of space, physical and mental, which may allow this to stay for awhile integrated more meaningfully into my homescape.

Shannon said...

Did I give you this blog yet? I like reading his stuff.
http://brooks-palmer.blogspot.com/


"I don't really want them...but"

Oooo, stop right there. Seriously! LOL!

shirley said...

LOL I know, I know!!!

You did point me in the direction of this guy's blog. I added it to my Reader a few days ago. Thanks :-)

Shannon said...

You're welcome ;-) And I don't mean to be pushy. It's just always easier to tell someone else what to do, ya know? LOL! You could come to my house and find 48,000 items I really would do better getting rid of ;-)

JET said...

Give them to your Mom! Or did she toss them on to you? Seems she didn't have a problem letting them go :-)

shirley said...

Shannon, truth is golden. I didn't think you were being pushy at all. The blog guy mentions the importance of being straightforward in his post today. :-)

Jamie, you know, I was trying to remember if my mom gave them to me or if I took them when I left home. Either way, no, I'm certain she doesn't want them back :-)