Bedtime for Sag has seen a significant shift.
He has been anxious when it's time to turn off the lights, beset with 'bad thoughts', for a couple of months. (I have a feeling that this is a result of the insecurity that often comes right before a developmental spurt. He turns 9 in November and there are changes afoot...you may have noticed that he even looks different these days in that b/w pic I posted earlier this week.)
A few weeks ago, Gem started to tell Sag stories to help distract and calm him. They are now in a lovely groove, one which they both look forward to. After they put their books away and the lights are turned down low and lavender oil is dropped onto their pillows and I tuck them and their creatures in with blessings and leave the room...
I hear the song of one son soothing the other. Words spinning tales of adventure and fun and mishap, of truth in imagination. Hushed tones to trilling laughter back to hushed tones again.
I wish I could take a picture, but of course, I can't. This evensong is theirs alone.
4 comments:
That's very sweet. Not the bad thoughts but I love that Gem helps calm his brother before bedtime. I remember having nightmares and not wanting to go to bed. However, one of my favorite memories is my mom tucking me into bed with my 10+ stuffed animals (lots of comfort)and singing me a lullaby (or reading Charlotte's Web).
You can relate :-)
That's lovely (not the bad thoughts part) and I'm sure when they are adults they will remember all the conversations and stories that they shared after dark.
Yes. They have always been bonded unconsciously, but this seems like something very tangible that they can remember. :-)
Post a Comment