My fiction list for 2009:
Breaking Dawn
the last book of the Twilight series...I'm about 2/3 through and put it down because I am reluctant for it to end
Southern Vampire series
my intro to these books has been via True Blood, the series on HBO...I received the set for X-mas
Plague of Doves
the latest by my fave author, Louise Erdrich...I started this book in 2008 but never finished it
Turpentine
recommended (and borrowed from) Barbra...she's the one who gave me The History of Love which was one of my favorite books of 2008 (or was it 2007?)...I'm thinking woman-centered Deadwood on paper...
The Road
post-apocalyptic stories have had me since I read The Stand in high school
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao
supposed to be pretty wondrous
The Days of Abandonment
Matt Pond recommended...I love his words so I'll take his word
Middlesex
once and for all...a novel I have started and not finished innumerable times
Not The End Of The World
author I like a lot...a collection of stories I got on the cheap
The Stones Of Summer
Stephen King recommended this one year in EW where he also recommended Case Histories by Kate Atkinson...loved Case Histories
The Dark Tower series
Jake (Cap's dad) bequeathed to me the whole series a few years ago..I've read the first few and now want to read them all, one after the other
The Known World
I plucked this off Anna's shelves (Stiff, too...see non-fiction list) awhile back
The Lord Of The Ring trilogy
I loved the movies and received the trilogy for X-mas the year the movie trilogy completed... time to make the shift from eye candy to read
This morning I had the kids choose fiction for me to read aloud to them. Sag chose Encyclopedia Brown Keeps The Peace and Gem chose The Giggler Treatment.
What fiction are you reading these days?
3 comments:
What a fabulous list! Very inspiring! I'm going to have to look up Turpentine -- I've really enjoyed the bits of Deadwood I've caught (friends introduced it to us when we were over for a visit -- Sarah was at her grandmother's house, and when the friends asked us what we wanted to watch, I made a facetious comment about something with lot of sex, violence, and bad language. So they pulled out Deadwood, and I was hooked 15 minutes into the first episode! Of course, my normal life doesn't allow for indulging that particular interest very often...).
Right now I'm reading The Wood Wife, one of my very favorite fantasy novels. A writer (a woman in her 30s or 40s) from the West Coast relocates to the desert of the southwest. There's human drama, powerful mythic forces, a strong intelligent woman, a little romance, art, poetry, madness, magic... I love this book, and come back to it on a regular basis, when I'm looking to get hooked by reading again.
I've also been reading All Of A Kind Family with Sarah, and sometimes with some of the kids at school.
I love, love, loved The All Of A Kind Family books growing up. Thinking about their trips to the store for pickles and candy still gets my drool going after all these years, LOL!
I've tried reading these with my kids, but to no avail. Maybe I'll try again this year.
We just had uproarious, riotous laughs here starting The Giggler Treatment. I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard reading a book!
I'll have to file away The Wood Wife in the memory bank---sounds interesting!
Thanks for the list, Shirl. I'm doing a lot of YA reading since that's what i writing right now, but I'll come back to this when I want some other types of fiction. I still have my problem though - I become so very unproductive when I read a good book that right now I'm shying away. I will read Specials (the third book in the UGLIES series) when my friend gives it to me though.
Post a Comment