Friday, January 23, 2009

Creating comfort


I'm not quite at hindsight is 20/20, but I think I'm coming out of a tunnel.

This winter has been much less of a dark seasonal time for me than winters past. But, it hasn't been without its dips, apparently.

I've been comforting myself in a variety of ways. Cooking, eating, knitting, watching tv. Hey, wait a minute, those are my so called hobbies...

We have been staying closer to home this winter and personally, I have been rediscovering the benefits, and comforts, of having weekends at home.

I have been experiencing a higher degree of synergy in my thinking and actions because I am not as busy, internally and externally, this winter.

The truth is, I don't always feel like I'm behind the 8 ball. When I do feel that way, like the other day, it can be crushing...infuriating...paralyzing, but the reality is that it has been a pretty mellow winter in terms of my mood.

Last night I sipped my "Half Moon" miso soup (can you see the half moon slices of daikon?) at dinner. I had some dessert later on while watching Numb3rs (my guilty pleasure that I just won't quit)---a bowl of Cherry Garcia with gobs of toasted coconut on top.

This morning I made two lasagnas for Danielle and her family. Ground beef sautéed with onion and garlic and seasoned with oregano, basil, salt and pepper... Ricotta cheese mixed with eggs, salt, pepper, and nutmeg... Mozzarella cheese and tomato sauce... I don't make lasagna anymore, not since Gem started eating GFCF, 8 years ago. I'd forgotten how much I love it. (Making lasagna is like riding a bike, I discovered. Once you know how, you always know.)

This morning, the comfort came from cooking for friends who are very much in transition...just a little bit that I can do to help make this time as nourishing and yummy as possible.

And while I cooked, I received comfort from some Matt Pond PA. I hadn't listened to him in awhile. So many curlicues of comfort bounce and coil around us. What have you been doing to create comfort lately?

4 comments:

JET said...

Where should I begin and how much can I type (lol)!

Actually, I'll keep it short and say that I'm currently reading the book, Change Your Thoughts- Change Your Life: Living the Wisdom of the Tao. I have found over the past few years spiritual books have been very comforting for me.

I'm glad to hear you coming out of the tunnel and have found comfort in a variety of ways. I hope you have a relaxing weekend.

Anonymous said...

DeBoles makes a rice noodle lasagna that I have used about 4 times. Even Todd and Brad like it! The package calls itself a "no-boil" lasagna, but trust me, boiling it is the key. I also started using a combination of chevre cheese and cream cheese when I noticed too late into my lasagna production that I didn't have any ricotta. I may never go back to ricotta (at least not til summer when Anthony at the Farmers' Market starts showing up with his hand-made ricotta!).

For comfort, I've been breathing deep and snuggling my girls when I feel like yelling. It always changes my mood, at least for a few moments. Oh, and Dr. Lu's cold tea with Agave nectar. And tonight, I added a shot of some really nice cognac to my bedtime preparations :-) Mmmmm ...warm tummy = happy tummy!

xo

Julie_c said...

I've recently started making lasagna with rice noodles and mine you don't have to boil at all. I use DeBoles Rice Lasagna noodles and I put them right in the layers - uncooked - with everything else. The key is to make sure they are covered in sauce. I'm actually so glad you said something because I think I'll make it tomorrow night. We all LOVE it!

I'm glad your overall feeling is better. I hate it when I feel frazzled and overwhelmed. That's why I try to create a peaceful life as often as possible. (And why I only have 1 child.) I do not do well with chaos.

shirley said...

Waaah, I'm just about to run out of the cold prevention tea and they're out of the office for a retreat next week! I'm going to try it with agave. I'm actually, to my utter surprise, getting honey-ed out.

Jules, what do you use for the "dairy" component in your lasagna? I am intrigued.

Thanks for your feedback my friends. I love having the food for thought.