Thursday, January 08, 2009

Creature creations

The kids sewed and stuffed some creature creations yesterday.

Sag was inspired by Gem. He cut the felt himself, to his design. Once he was done, he realized he hadn't doubled the fabric and freaked out (this is his way---completely absorbed in the moment and then full of angst/regret at his lack of total forethought).

So I cut the second piece for him.

Then, I encouraged him to let me sew it. I sensed he would be frustrated later (at a less than satisfactory sewing job), potentially ruining the experience for him. I explained that practicing his sewing would make more sense on a bigger piece (his creature measures about 3 1/2 inches tall).

After sewing was complete, he opted to draw its face, rather than sew. I think he might have abandoned the plan to give it wings.

Gem drew his design on paper. He then asked me to cut the fabric for him. I suggested giving it more of a paw and then drawing the fingers in, but he stuck to his idea and its waving hand came out great.

I double threaded the needle for him and then he sewed the creature up. Originally, he wanted the doll turned inside out, making the seam invisible. This proved seemingly impossible with the arm, which is very skinny.

Getting the stuffing into the hand turned out to be impossible, as well. He was flexible where he needed to be (where he could be?) at every turn. (I learned a lesson and stuffed the feathers on top of Sag's creature's head as I sewed.)

Gem tried something new and drew his creature's face on, rather than sew.

1 comment:

Julie_c said...

Do you have a sewing machine, Shirl? I started sewing my own Barbie clothes when I was about Gem's age.

I think they both did an awesome job. You know, there's puffy fabric paint that comes in small bottles and you can squirt it out in a line. I used to let the kids at my after-school class use it for things just like this. It works great.

Just an idea.