Saturday, January 31, 2009

A summary of the numbers

I just finished number crunching for January '09 (though technically the month is not quite over).

The good news is that with some restraint, spending in the categories of "eating out/take out food" and "gifts, toys, books, yarn, etc." were down by over 40% each.

The bad news is that the 3 month averaged figure I had for "household" must not have spanned enough time to be accurate because we spent over double in that category. There was a conference registration, some buying of clothes (do y'all know the price of men's underwear? It's crazy, I tell you...), and I'm accounting for visits to Vinny differently this year (moving the co-pay cost over to savings so that when he does his figuring, once a year, I can remove the amount from savings more responsibly. The way I've been doing it the visits haven't been recorded individually and so the pay outs were getting absorbed and ultimately coming completely out of savings.)

So we still came out in the red this month. But, I am feeling empowered with information and conviction and commitment.

No comments: