Monday, March 12, 2012

Mindful morsel


A headache started.  It portended more to come.  It's the sugar withdrawal.  

Last week, I took a pill which masked the pain I could still feel as "wrong" just below the surface.

Today. I thought of the dark chocolate bar I had stashed in my desk.  In a brown paper bag, even.  Little blue pill or a square of chocolate?  The decision wasn't as easy as one might think.  There is, that slippery slope.

I chose chocolate.

This bar can be broken up into 30 squares.  I broke off one square and let the medicine do its work.  The headache has been fed for now.

Can I really consume just one square a day?  It will be an exercise in mindfulness this month.

P.S.  Sag does still have strep.  I am trying to stay positive in the face of giving him a stronger antibiotic.  Meditating on the Sun, the balm of the blanket of warmth that has dropped on us from the sky, the rhythm of folding laundry, the pleasure of a new book.


2 comments:

Kelly said...

Chocolate, in small doses, and especially dark chocolate, is very good for your stomach, and I think it's also good for your blood (liver). So, take your medicine every day, and remember, all medicines should be taken in appropriate measure, and not abused ;-)

shirley said...

Ah, I am not surprised it is good for liver. Hence, the deep magnetic attraction between women and chocolate!

The headache has returned, though to a less sinister degree. The chocolate definitely helped. And I didn't have to pop a pill!

Thanks, friend.