Monday, March 19, 2012

Put one foot in front of the other


Kale salad.  So delicious.  And green.  But...but...but...I washed the kale this morning and then left it to dry between tea towels while I did a bunch of things (made a pot roast, visited with Leo and Danielle, made lunch for the kids, drove them to a playdate, picked up some things at the supermarket (see below), confirmed with Tiina that she's feeling a bit better today and didn't need dinner stuff, drove Cap to work, pre-ordered a book for Gem at the bookshop in honor of his Name Day tomorrow, picked up the kids)...and then, it took me over an hour to put the salad together!

I was pretty Zen about it.  Took my time like the manatee that I am and ignored the voice that piped up every now and again, the "this is so frikking boring!" voice.  Over an hour, pulling the leaves off their ribs, slicing them in ribbons, chopping garlic, chopping dates, chopping anchovies, zesting oranges, zesting a lemon...

I am looking forward to eating it.  For the next couple of days.  The kale holds the salad up really well and it tastes even better the day after because the dressing gets absorbed nicely.


We have a new mission, Cap and I.  To see if we can increase proteins and fats in Gem's diet.  He is growing taller, but hasn't gained any weight since last Summer.  One of our ideas is to make him protein- and fat-rich smoothies.  He loves a good fruit smoothie.  We'll see how this goes.  (This path may lead us to buy something I have been coveting for awhile: a Vitamix!)

(For the record, I think this is a positive exploration and I am not worried.  Cap and my brother were both very skinny as kids.  And, because Gem has been allergic to milk since he was eight weeks old, he doesn't consume most of the typical protein- and fat-rich foods that kids eat in our society.  Can he stand to be eating more protein and fat?  I think so.  Is he unhealthily skinny?  I don't think so.  Let the fun begin.)

No comments: