Early this afternoon, Cap took the kids out back to play. Gem loves finding living treasures and bringing them in. (Spring has definitely sprung around here. Much like it has in Florida though are pollen hasn't quite kicked in yet.)
Mid-afternoon we headed out to Route 46, a roadway I tend to avoid like the plague. But, there were Skylanders figures to pursue and a car to test drive, so we killed the proverbial two birds.
Sigh. Part of me was hoping riding in the Prius wagon would leave little to no doubt that the Outback was the vehicle for us. Nope. The Prius was just a good fit enough that we now have some thinking to do.
The Outback is cushier and more enjoyable to drive and ride in. It also has excellent safety ratings. (The Prius' federal safety ratings have not yet been posted.) The Prius is comfortable, simpler and more utilitarian in its lines and feel. Perfect for tooling around locally, which is what we need our car for 75-80% of the time. And the gas mileage is, as you likely know, through the roof (44mpg/city driving!)
First world problem, I know. I'm not complaining. I suppose the next step is to take the kids to Subaru so they can ride in the Outback. Then do some math and hard thinking (cost vs. comfort vs. safety) about whether we want to buy for the predominant city driving or the more serious highway driving we do to visit family, the occasional vacation, and Cap's professional road trips.
One last thought...the Prius wagon is, technically, a first generation vehicle. However, I think it is essentially a Prius that has been elongated. I believe the technology used "inside" is not new in it of itself. Would buying it be risky?
I just googled "route 46 new jersey" and this photo was the first one to pop up. Traffic wasn't this bad today, but it is a craptastic byway that is clogged with stores, parking lots, industry and cars...and I hate driving on it!


No comments:
Post a Comment