Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Soothe

We are all feeling the change-of-season chaos...in mostly small and subtle ways.  Tired, but not getting sick, rough around the edges, but not falling apart, melancholy, but not depressed.  All of it momentary, not overwhelming.

I am doing a lot of soothing and being soothed.


Made my first ever pot roast.  Wow.  The epitome of comfort food.  I have fond memories of my mom's pot roast.  I'm not really sure why I never thought to make one before.  (This was not her recipe, but from The Primal Blueprint Cookbook.)  The kids loved it.  Gem's words after taking his first bite?  "It's magic."  (Too busy savoring to take a photo the first night.)


Cap needed a photo taken for professional use.  I am flattered he asked me.  (I am also his longtime barber :-)  For anyone who knows him, you'll be looking up in the sky for flying pigs because not only is he smiling in a photograph, but he decided to send this along to the conference folks who needed his pic!  I love it.  I love him.


If I had a photo of Vinny, it would be in this post, too.  Cap takes care of me day-to-day (he has been faithfully working on my rock hard shoulders for well over a week now) and Vinny takes care of me once a week.  

After the kids and I returned home from our Vinny sessions, I could have fallen asleep.  But, I couldn't.  I realized I was feeling a bit blue.  Then I realized I was starting to think about...mind-crave, things like Chinese food and ice cream.

It is fascinating and amazing to be in a place where I can take a step back when my mind starts to draw these fantastical pictures of what I supposedly want.  My emotions no longer become enmeshed like they did for years and years.  My pulse remains steady, my brain stays calm...my mind not only returns to my body, but it brings with it fresh input.

And so, almost as if in a trance, I walked into the kitchen, warmed some eggs, pulled out the almond meal and coconut flour and golden flaxseed meal...and baked a loaf of Paleo Bread.

I hope you are finding ways to be soothed and to soothe during this naturally chaotic time.

Peace and love.

8 comments:

Jamie said...

So, I can blame the chaos in my life on the season change...nice! I hope it passes soon.

Terrific shot of Cap...and he's got a great smile!!!!!

One of my mom's favorite comfort foods is roast pork. I could go for a nice roast pork, potatoes, and apple sauce. Instead I've been craving sugar. Unfortunately, my emotions are still tied to sugar being a comfort. I haven't been as bad as in the past but still it needs to be better.

Your bread looks yummy :-)

shirley said...

Roast pork is on my mental menu for next week :-)

Yes, you can totally blame the change-of-season for the chaos in your life :-) I hope things feel better soon.

The bread was simple and satisfying with a bit of cheese, for dinner.

Thanks for the compliment about the photo of Cap. It means a lot coming from a photographer of your caliber.

Looking forward to seeing you this weekend!! xoxo

Shannon said...

That's a great picture!

shirley said...

Which one? :-)

Susan Gurry said...

Love the photo of Cap!

shirley said...

Thanks, Sue!

Shannon said...

Sorry, I meant the hubby! He looks very happy and upbeat :-D

shirley said...

I thought so :-) A happy mama/partner makes for a happy man :-)