Wednesday, April 06, 2011

End of day

Another busy day.

The kids are getting into a work-y rhythm.  They did a fair amount of academic activity independently as I cooked for common meal.  Cleaning and prepping for company was not a big deal because the kids have been contracting their helping out services for extra screen time.  They washed the bathroom floor and sink on Monday.  Today, they made the salad and set the table for common meal.

We saw Vinny this afternoon where Gem and I got tune-ups.

Dinner was low-key and yummy.  Carrot-tofu scramble, brown rice, salad, pickled red onions and braised cabbage.  The kids picked fruit juice jello for dessert (homemade) and, as ever, it was a hit.  (Jello is something I never acquired a taste for, so I don't quite understand it, but I do appreciate the pleasure everyone else derives from it.)




More busy days will follow.  Baseball practice, Anna coming for the weekend, play dates, gift prep for the new baby and the new big sister, visiting said girls on the weekend...

Here's a link to the recipe for the pickled red onions.  It was a hit.  Very clean and mild flavor (Yifat said it reminded her of ceviche) and a wonderful color.  The photo is blurry, I was rushing to get the shot before folks dug in!  (Thanks to Wendy for the cook book from whence the recipe comes, Viva Vegan!)

4 comments:

mh said...

Terry Romero is in our CSA! She did a couple of sample recipes for us last year. I'll let you know when she does it this year if you want to meet her.

shirley said...

That would be cool! I remember you telling me that she is in your CSA. Love to Finn. xo

P.S. And thanks to you for the carrot tofu scramble recipe...it is still a favorite of Gem's.

Jamie said...

When we go to Florida we make the Jello Keylime pie. It's very tasty and not too much fat. I also use to make the vanilla pudding pie and add strawberries and blueberries to it.

I'm sure there could be a way to make gluten/casein free versions. Nothing like a pudding pie :-)

shirley said...

Pudding pie...mmm...