Thursday, April 14, 2011

Catching up

Well, that was pretty painless.  The middle, and biggest, stage of the taxes are done.  I'll have Cap give them a look see tonight.  Tomorrow, I will transfer all the rough draft info onto forms in pen, write checks (we always owe because of the consulting type gigs that Cap does), stamp envelopes, and the taxes will be done.

I find myself with a pocket of alone time here.  Cap is up at school and the kids are at Tiina's.  I guess I'll catch up with the blog.  Working backwards...


It is National Poetry Month here in the States.  I am a latecomer to poetry appreciation.  But, I really dig it now.  The little bits here and there that I come across and read (I don't read much poetry...haven't been reading much of anything lately, come to think of it.)  Mary Oliver is a favorite.

I pulled down our poetry volumes (mostly the collections geared towards children) and put them in a basket.  I asked the kids to search for a poem that spoke to them and they both found Shel Silverstein poems they liked.  (Lesson 1: poetry doesn't have to be drab or "old"...it can even make you laugh!)

We'll be reading poems for the rest of the month.



They really do love comics.  A few nights ago they went to the comic book store with Cap.  Their box was empty (they have "subscriptions" to a number of titles).  No worries, once home, they searched out comics already in the house and enjoyed some pleasant night time reading.


Gem loves grape juice.  We've been buying it more often lately and I have been enjoying it, too.  I like mine cut with some seltzer.



These photos just seem a pair.  The kids have been reading Science and Social Studies books and writing them up.  Culling facts, citing page numbers, searching for additional resources on the topic, categorizing which branches the subject(s) of the books would fit on the trees of "Science" and "Social Studies"...  Oh, and also whether they are interested in further study of the topics.  (So far, Benjamin Franklin has gotten a "yes" from Gem and we requested a book about Mr. Franklin from the library.)

The above photo is Gem doing a computer search of additional resources.

The lower photo is Sag doing some free reading.  He was either waiting for me to be done doing something with Gem, or was done for the day and was hanging out.  I took the pic because he was wearing his Pokemon trainer outfit.  He has a favorite trainer (his name is Blue, I think) and has put together an outfit which closely resembles Blue's.  Adorable.


How I wished I had a better telephoto lens when I spotted this squirrel out the front window.  I opened the window and reached my arm out as far as it would go and snapped the shot.  As soon as the window opened, this critter went into, subtle, but high alert.  S/he was gone after the first shot.




Last weekend, I made beef short ribs for my sister-in-law, deviled eggs for my brother, and brownies for, frankly, myself.  I spent most of the morning and early afternoon cooking and baking and ducking out for some book shopping for the girls.  Then we headed into Queens to meet the new baby.

I took these shots because the colors were so strong...almost primal, in real life.





Owen brought over these nifty building thingies last week.  The boys got right down to it.  (Practically in front of the door, glad they took my suggestion of moving into the middle of the room where there was more space :-)

Perfect.  The kids will be home momentarily.  Off to make dinner.  All caught up.

No comments: