Saturday, September 25, 2010

At the pool




We switched pools/swimming programs and so far, it's going, wait for it, swimmingly.  

The pool at the Uni is one year old and it shows.  On the drive up this morning, the kids were most excited to go into the palatial and luxe locker room again.  (According to Sag it's bigger than our whole apartment.)

I had a prime seat from which to watch and take my snapshots, and also, read a couple chapters of Catching Fire.

A nice way to ease into a day preceded by an enervating night (toss, turn, repeat).  Chocolate cake is on my agenda for the rest of the day, among other things :-)

3 comments:

Susan Gurry said...

And I am loving that your boys are swimmers! You'll have to take them to the War Memorial Swimming Pool (connected to the high school) in Cambridge and see the plaque there honoring my father, William Gurry, pool manager (and my boss) for many years. Neal worked in the locker room... he married a lifeguard!

shirley said...

I would love to do that some day :-) Is that how/where you and Neal met?

Susan Gurry said...

Yup, I was a 16 year-old lifeguard, and he was a 20 year-old locker boy. This was 1968. We were friends for 5 years, then in 1973 I asked him out! Then we dated for 5 years and married in 1978. We had a private ceremony only for family, and my mother didn't come (Neal's Jewish and we didn't get married in a church).

About three years later, my mom said to me, "I think I made a mistake in not coming to your wedding. I think you and Neal are happy". She was such a staunch Catholic, she could not understand marrying someone outside the faith (even though I hadn't gone to church since I was 16).

I remember when my oldest cousins got married (they were ten years older than I was) it was all talked about that they married Italian Catholics, not Irish Catholics! Imagine. My three sisters are still all church-goers and full believers. I am not.