We had some excitement yesterday at common meal (I'm the only one who calls it co-op meal...I am succumbing.) Gem accidentally ate a handful of Mi-Del gluten-free chocolate chip cookies that had dairy in them. And he didn't break out in hives. There may be an allergy skin scratch test in his future to see if it confirms the exit of this particular allergy from his system (which he has had since he was weeks old.)
On a more complicated note. The kids are needing me less and less, moment to moment. I'm finding myself with swaths of time lately. I'm realizing that I can do more with this time. I've been hopping on the computer or knitting, two things I've been desperate for time for in the past and took when I could.
In purely unschooly ways, it is incredibly rewarding to simply observe them and note how much deeper they are going, independently, into their passions and activities. I feel like they are in a place of not wanting much involvement from me. Which gives me some time to think about how to insert myself in ways that make sense...that will activate their awareness of other points of view and interrelated knowledge and ideas...and support the intensity of their growth and learning.
P.S. Our library recently upgraded to become part of a super consortium of libraries in the state and now NJ is feeling a lot like Sac town. Massive volumes at my fingertips. I now have A Knitter's Book of Yarn (that contains the Scaruffle pattern) and just today requested a Kate Atkinson novel (One Good Turn) that is not on my 2009 list, but I really want to read.
3 comments:
It is lovely when a little time frees up, isn't it.
My free time just disappeared.
I got a shot of motivation yesterday when we found out how much Cam's new chelation treatment was going to cost. A LOT!
I came home thinking of ways to make more moo-la. I need to get more paintings in the gallery. I need to bust my hump on my novel. I need to make more crafts to sell.
I think I'd been enjoying too much time on my blog roll.
I sure am motivated now!!!
Is chelation treatment less controversial these days? Good luck with that...it sucks that it costs so much $$.
I must admit feeling some new self-induced pressure to begin earning money, recently. I think it's pretty unrealistic, but worth examining...
Most of the problems that arose with chelation - to my understanding - involved doctors who were not specially trained in biomedical autism treatment. We are doing all this through a certified D.A.N. doctor who goes to all the conferences and is treating her own son, who is on the spectrum. I have a lot of faith in her.
Post a Comment