And I mean that in the best of ways.
This is what happens in this home when we hear someone is coming over...



Not to worry, there is still some evidence of our baser selves here and there...


Jay, Amy, Lilja and Theo came over Saturday evening. They needed to make a pit stop on their way to Pittsburgh and slept over. Cap put it well: "I'm disappointed, but not conflicted." There will be other overnights (the kids did really well at my brother and sister-in-law's).
I had a very nice time showering our niece and nephew with attention that didn't need to be shared with my own kids. Whole Foods provided dinner (for a fee, always for a fee...) and they were all tucked in bed by 9:30.
Cap and I watched SNL sports skits sitting on the couch together. It was very peaceful without the kids. We went out to breakfast Sunday morning after our family continued on their way. We had some excitement when Cap slipped and fell down the stairs going down to the basement to get some laundry (the stairs are outside and is a half flight). He is bruised and sore, but thankfully was not seriously hurt.
As we were driving over to Queens to rejoin the kids and to party with other members of our family (Cap and my birthdays and pre-Super Bowl), it occurred to me how overarching it is to be responsible for children. Heavy stuff, really. While they were away, cared for by people who love them and who I trust, I felt lighter. It felt really good.
The food and company were fantastic last night and I rolled home, so full was I.
Here are some "me" photos I took over the weekend.

We had some Silk soy creamer in the house to make the featherlight cake. I took advantage and made a cup of chai (a rare caffeinated drink). I've been not so enamored of my trusty standby, honey, so tried some sugar in it. Kelly, I understand now why you take sugar!

We're continuing to reorganize and declutter as we have the opportunity/momentum. I weeded out some cookbooks and moved the rest onto a shelf in the kitchen (they were formerly housed on a wider shelf in the kitchen pantry). They call to me now that they are visible..."look at me, let me inspire you..." They didn't all fit on the one shelf and when time allows, I'll be clearing off another shelf to make room.

Bday gift from Barbra and Audrey. It makes me happy and excited flipping through its pages.

Gift from Karen and Brent. Dosa!

The DVD is from Karen and Brent and the autographed edition of Plague of Doves is from Mary L.

Poetry and pretty horse picture from Mary L.
3 comments:
All due props to the honey and the bees, but sugar, well, there's nothing that tastes quite like it, is there? Though, I have to say, Agave nectar comes darn close.
I LOVE Deborah Madison! I have that cookbook (a gift from an old friend) and have been more than happy with everything I've ever tried from it - a first for me and a cookbook.
Glad you guys had a nice, if unplanned, weekend. Maybe next month you'll get the whole thing to yourselves :-)
Hope Cap is feeling better. A nice hot bath with vinegar in it will help sooth those aching bruises.
xo
It looks like you made a pretty nice haul for your birthday. I'm sorry you didn't get an evening to yourselves, but I know it's always nice to see Jay, Amy and the crew. And sometimes it's just nice to not have to be a mom. Just for a few hours. :)
So sorry to hear about Cap's little accident. I hope he's taking it easy and feels better.
Thank you for the comment on the photo today.
Post a Comment